130. Doing it Family Style

Doing It Family Style: Because we tend not to order much Chinese food back home, we know Thai food as the cuisine with a “family style” reputation. Family style really just means “sharing,” but it can also be code for, “Because I have license to eat some of what you ordered, I think it’s about time I took a chance on that Hot and Sour Fish Head Stew with Stinkweed.” Unexpectedly, we’ve had more experience in China than in Thailand with family style meals. And we’ve warmed quickly to the idea of dining with strangers, whether it’s the five hundredth German backpacker to ask us about our route or a group of Chinese tourists who will stare breathlessly, and relentlessly, at our chopstick technique. That technique is now, by the way, beyond reproach. Unless you’re counting the occasional lima bean that goes skittering across the table. Mànmàn ch?!

1. Joey&Erin says:

Fortunately, the stinky weed is easy to pick up with chopsticks!
    The northwest is cold and rainy as we approach winter. I hope the sun is shining where you are.
    Joey and Erin

2. Joey&Erin says:

Fortunately, the stinky weed is easy to pick up with chopsticks!
    Joey and Erin

3. Joey&Erin says:

Fortunately, the stinky weed is easy to pick up with chopsticks!
    Joey and Erin

4. Joey&Erin says:

Fortunately, the stinky weed is easy to pick up with chopsticks!
    Joey and Erin

5. Joey&Erin says:

Fortunately, the stinky weed is easy to pick up with chopsticks!
    Joey and Erin

6. furey says:

you two could…should… write a book, about this past year. I can see you two on The Daily Show and Good Morning America discussing it….that charm and wit gets noticed and Bam! You two have your own show on The Travel Channel.

7. Anonymous says:

I second that!

8. mr. ronnie says:

i know a really good camera person…

but seriously why still use the chopstick? the fork is superior.

9. Ali says:

I totally agree with furey and anonymous!!!! Seriously you guys, this is the best travel blog ever! It must be made into a book, movie, travel show, etc. The combo of the spectacular photography with the witty blogging and the verbatim dialogue, well it’s just laugh-out-loud-funny, inspiring, educational and heart warming all the same. Just thought I’d share, since I’ve been keeping up on your journies but haven’t commented yet. Keep up the great blogging, stay safe, continue to have as much fun as it seems you’re having and when you’re back in the states, please invite me to the storytelling-slideshow.
    Cheers and Happy Trails to ya!!!
    Ali (fellow-west-coast-migrated-hicksvillian)

10. Sloan says:

You know, I’d be willing to bet that’s the first time anyone on the web has ever posted a comment agreeing with “furey and anonymous.” It’s so hard to be first at anything on the internet; I can feel the pride swelling now.

Thanks for all the praise too, it’s far too kind, but somehow makes all those hours spent fussing in dingy internet cafes a little more worthwhile.

11. dad says:

you two make me proud! but please Sloan b/4 you go on the daily show stop in India and get a haircut!